Monday, January 14, 2008

art work I sent up to Toronto to help raise money for the rape crisis center

http://www.thexandoshow.blogspot.com/
I mailed this in for this silent auction because I wanted to support a funder raiser for a women's rape crisis center and this dynamic woman who has created a magazine of erotica and art. It is so important for women to have our freedom to be ourselves and that includes expression. My first letter ever published was in The Financial Times praised the paper for showing an image of Lucien Freud's that let us say celebrated an older woman's flower power but I felt I and still do women globally were/are lagging behind men from economic power to basic human rights. It is a better letter than I am conveying because I am so tired and this is a charged topic for me.

I made this image a long time ago and it is a broken vase with reproductions of imagery of women from the late 1800's, early 1900's when the camera was first developed. The negative space of the broken glass forms "lips" and today I am thinking how people who are abusive blame the victim...so there is all kinds of violence....

The theme of the art show was so right on...so I shipped this to Canada for a good cause and to let go...I want to kiss this good bye and in a positive way...